After finishing the meditation chair it was on to updating the ottoman. We decided a slipcover would be best so it could be washed as the dog and cat have a habit of sleeping on it. Although now it has been refurbished …… maybe not……..
My dog Jed was also eyeing the ottoman up but I managed to keep him off it, but only just.
I always love been involved in bringing a much loved chair back to it’s glory days.
The project was a friend’s favourite chair that desperately needed a facelift – not only did she love it but the dog & cat also fought to get to sleep in it(very spoilt!!!!!)
The fabric arrived – happy days, it didn’t disappoint – fabulous pattern great to work with.
Now to work – cutting and making sure the velvet was going the right way. For some reason my dog Jed also loved the chair although I made sure he didn’t get up on it – he always found the closest spot near it.
I think everyone has an old ugly office chair lurking somewhere – this one was found in the depths of the garage. So what to do chuck it out or give it a new lease of life. It still worked fine and all the mechanisms worked, so out with that ugly grey material.
Added some new foam to give it a bit more cushioning and some new fabric – this design was from warwick fabrics in the “Anthropology” range.
After my son saw it he decided it would be perfect for his study area – anything to keep them motivated to study must be a win.
An old drop in seat was delivered with some striped fabric. The owner had found an old chair that needed a revamp. They thought that they were up for the challenge but then like most of us it became all too hard and decided to give me the commission – FAB.
Off with all the old material, padding, tacks, webbing etc – nothing could be salvaged except the original frame of the seat which needed some minor repairs.
The owner was very happy with the seat and send a photo of the updated look of the chair.
I found these two old dining chairs that needed a real clean up. All the old material was taken off and the chairs taken apart. Old joints were checked, glued and clamped where necessary. Next it was a matter of cleaning up the old wood and giving it a good polish.
The seats were drop in and I wanted to find a fabric that complimented the beautiful carvings. I found some printed fabric – (nice medium weight cotton mix) with the streets of Paris on it that I think looks great.
I found two very old and neglected TV chairs that needed a new lease of life.
It just happened that I had also been material hunting at Bev’s Remnants and found the perfect material for the chairs.
One a fabulous floral which was offset by a contrasting plain material both in a cotton mix.
The wood needed to be refinished which ended up being more work than I originally thought as it had been done in a polyurethane. After all the old finish had been removed – which yes I had to do with a paint stripper but I used a citrus based one (not as harmful to the environment) and sanded back, the wood came up wonderfully and smooth with a fabulous glow which set off the new fabric perfectly.
Its always a great feeling looking back to what was and what is now, knowing that all that hard work was worth it.
New Cushions were in order to give the room a lift and to highlight the recovered ottoman.
The ottoman was recovered in a beautiful fabric from Warwick in lemons and olive greens. It replaced an equally lovely fabric from Signature Prints but unfortunately after many years it was looking very tired and was due for a new treatment. The client was very happy with the result.