Two wingback chairs that belonged to a client’s family but were in a desperate need of an overhaul. New foam, webbing, fabric and legs gave a new lease of life to these grand old chairs.
The treasures you can pick up on the side of the road!!!!!! all you need is a little vision of what could be. This client found this chair during a council clean up and loved the shape. Once the fabric was picked – gorgeous velvet by Warwick, it was time to get to work.
All the old layers were taken off, as well as the springs, as they were rusty and out of alignment.
The legs were stripped of old paint and polish then it was time to put in new webbing, springs, hessian and padding and finally the fabric.
What is it about teenage boys who can’t sit still and need to rock back & forth on the dining room chair.
No matter who I talk to this is a common theme. Of course the inevitable happens , after countless raves at them to stop it – Yep the whole chair breaks. But can it be fixed or do you chuck it out.
First off all the old glue needed to be sanded or scraped off so the new glue would adhere. In a number of areas the snap wood needed to be taken off so it would fit together again. All joints were glued and clamped together.
Once that job was done a fair amount of filling was required with epoxy. Once the epoxy was dried I sanded the areas back to smooth then it was the job of touching up all those areas to get the colour looking the same.
Whoops one more thing I added corner chocks underneath to give the back legs more strength – hopefully to save from another teenager rocking on the chair and snapping it.
I always love been involved in bringing a much loved chair back to it’s glory days.
The project was a friend’s favourite chair that desperately needed a facelift – not only did she love it but the dog & cat also fought to get to sleep in it(very spoilt!!!!!)
The fabric arrived – happy days, it didn’t disappoint – fabulous pattern great to work with.
Now to work – cutting and making sure the velvet was going the right way. For some reason my dog Jed also loved the chair although I made sure he didn’t get up on it – he always found the closest spot near it.
An old drop in seat was delivered with some striped fabric. The owner had found an old chair that needed a revamp. They thought that they were up for the challenge but then like most of us it became all too hard and decided to give me the commission – FAB.
Off with all the old material, padding, tacks, webbing etc – nothing could be salvaged except the original frame of the seat which needed some minor repairs.
The owner was very happy with the seat and send a photo of the updated look of the chair.
I found these two old dining chairs that needed a real clean up. All the old material was taken off and the chairs taken apart. Old joints were checked, glued and clamped where necessary. Next it was a matter of cleaning up the old wood and giving it a good polish.
The seats were drop in and I wanted to find a fabric that complimented the beautiful carvings. I found some printed fabric – (nice medium weight cotton mix) with the streets of Paris on it that I think looks great.
FINISHED PRODUCT (flip the cushion & get a new look)
All the old coverings were taken off and chair stripped of the old wood finishing.
Underneath was a beautiful, well constructed chair,
needing some tender loving care.
I have been wanting to use a combination of wool and handprinted fabric by ‘cloth’ for some
time and thought this is my chance.
The rose print looks very blue in the picture but is in fact
a blue black – more black than blue. On the cushion I have done one side in just the ‘cloth’ fabric
and the other in a combination of the wool fabric and the ‘cloth ‘fabric for interest. This piece is up
for sale and looking for a new home. Please send me a note if interested and live in Sydney.(pick up only)