What is it about teenage boys who can’t sit still and need to rock back & forth on the dining room chair.
No matter who I talk to this is a common theme. Of course the inevitable happens , after countless raves at them to stop it – Yep the whole chair breaks. But can it be fixed or do you chuck it out.
After a friend told me about the chair I said I would try to fix it for her. Time to put those lessons from Furnishing Finishing course into use.
First off all the old glue needed to be sanded or scraped off so the new glue would adhere. In a number of areas the snap wood needed to be taken off so it would fit together again. All joints were glued and clamped together.
Once that job was done a fair amount of filling was required with epoxy. Once the epoxy was dried I sanded the areas back to smooth then it was the job of touching up all those areas to get the colour looking the same.
Whoops one more thing I added corner chocks underneath to give the back legs more strength – hopefully to save from another teenager rocking on the chair and snapping it.
Ok – enough is enough ……….it is high time the cushion for the outdoor rattan lounge was recovered. Yes, I know Jed looks very comfortable and even once a new cover is completed I’m sure he will like it just as well.
I am using an outdoor foam which is more expensive, but it allows any water to run through.
It came slightly too big. As I don’t have a foam cutter (they are quite expensive) I am using an electric bread cutter (you can get one under $ 20.00). No, I’m not completely NUTS, it does a pretty good job.
As long as you have the line marked and cut straight up and down it does a fairly good job.
Once the foam was cut it was just a matter of cutting the material and get sewing. I love the contrast of pattern on one side and the stripe on the other. Instead of a zip I decided to put velcro right down one side as I am sure the dog will still make it his resting place – therefore frequent washing. It makes it easier to get the cover off and on.
I think everyone has an old ugly office chair lurking somewhere – this one was found in the depths of the garage. So what to do chuck it out or give it a new lease of life. It still worked fine and all the mechanisms worked, so out with that ugly grey material.
Added some new foam to give it a bit more cushioning and some new fabric – this design was from warwick fabrics in the “Anthropology” range.
After my son saw it he decided it would be perfect for his study area – anything to keep them motivated to study must be a win.